Welcome to 2016! In keeping with our New Year’s resolution to eat healthy, wholesome, and nutritious food, Chica de Gallo will be posting some of our favorite recipes. Most of the recipes can be prepared in 30 minutes or less and can be adapted to suit a vegan or vegetarian diet. We hope you love these recipes as much as we do. Here’s to a happy and healthy new year!
Mango Chicken Stir Fry
This mango chicken stir fry will chase away the winter blues with the tropical taste of Chica de Gallo’s salsa and will satisfy with lean protein and whole grains.
Adapted from Cooking Classy www.cookingclassy.com/2015/03/chicken-and-vegetable-stir-fry/
16 oz Chica de Gallo mango pineapple salsa, divided
3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth (substitute vegetable broth for vegan option)
1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 pound chicken breasts, cubed (omit or substitute tempeh or tofu for vegan option)
1 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 1/2 cup broccoli florets, broken up into bite-size pieces
1 1/2 cup chopped carrots
1 bell pepper, seeded and roughly chopped
1 cup yellow onion, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and minced
1 1/2 cup sugar snap peas
1 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced
Brown rice for serving
1. In a blender, combine 1 cup Chica de Gallo mango pineapple salsa, chicken broth, soy sauce, and sesame oil. Pulse until smooth. Measure out 1/2 cup for marinade. Pour the rest of the mixture in a small bowl and whisk in cornstarch.
2. Cube chicken. Pour marinade over chicken and marinate in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes.
3. Chop or mince vegetables as indicated above.
4. Heat vegetable oil in a wok or high-walled pan over medium-high heat. Remove chicken from marinade and add chicken to wok. Cook chicken for about 3 minutes, or until halfway cooked through. Add in broccoli, carrots, bell pepper, onion, and ginger. Cook for 4 minutes, tossing occasionally. Add in snap peas, mushrooms, and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes. Whisk soy sauce mixture and add to wok. Cook for 2 minutes, or until sauce has thickened, tossing frequently.
5. Serve hot with rice. Garnish with mango pineapple salsa.